"TURNING THOSE MS SCARS INTO STARS"

MS, lesions, also known as plaques, are patches of inflammation in the central nervous system in which the nerve cells have been striped of their protective myelin or insulating cover. These demyelinated neurons do not function properly and it is these lesions that give rise to the symptoms of MS.

In relapsing-remitting MS, their is significant recovery as the inflammation dies down. Special maintenance cells called glial cells are responsible for the repair of the damaged nerves. One type of glial cell, called an oligodendrocyte, lays down new myelin and another type, called an astrocyte lays down SCAR tissue.

A STAR is defined as a heavenly body, champion, headliner or a virtuoso. Another definition of a Star is defined as a network whose components are connected to a hub.

My faith in God is my connection and that is how I am "Turning Those MS Scars Into Stars." I am striving to experience the challenge of living with MS as a Blessing, an opportunity to grow in compassion, patience, grace, and love, all of which are blessings - Multiple Blessings Not Multiple Sclerosis!

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Almost Time to Sum Up the Year

Gee, can one believe that it's almost year end? I have tried a lot of different things this year to stay ahead of the MS Monster. I am still on the diet. I can say it has made a difference in the way I feel. Thinking of ways to enjoy food without eating from the forbidden fruits was extremely challenging. I have become a much better cook. I take time to add spices and enhance the flavor of whatever I am preparing. I have also lost weight, although not intentionally but by not eating fast foods, sugar, dairy and saturated fats. Great bonus to trying to heal yourself naturally. Over the holidays, I ate a lot of food. Instead of feeling bloated and uncomfortable I was just satisfied, yet full. I know if you looked at my menu, you probably wonder how. Well, what you don't see on the menu are the ingredients that are added to each item to enhance the flavor. For example, the turkey was a free range boneless turkey breast. I stuffed it with a rice dressing made with 2 types of mushrooms and brown rice. Lots of other ingredients like poultry seasoning, and the usual vegetable additions celery, onion, garlic. However, it needed the holiday touch, so in goes the pecans, golden raisins and gluten free bread. There is more to this recipe, like chicken stock,  salt and pepper and, olive oil for sauteing. There is a recipe for the rice dressing that I changed to suit my diet. Another example, use cornstarch to thicken the gravy instead of flour. 
The holidays are filled with tempting dinner parties and festive occasions. Let me encourage you if you are on the diet to stick with it. Just be creative and remember to enjoy the things you can have fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment