"TURNING THOSE MS SCARS INTO STARS"

MS, lesions, also known as plaques, are patches of inflammation in the central nervous system in which the nerve cells have been striped of their protective myelin or insulating cover. These demyelinated neurons do not function properly and it is these lesions that give rise to the symptoms of MS.

In relapsing-remitting MS, their is significant recovery as the inflammation dies down. Special maintenance cells called glial cells are responsible for the repair of the damaged nerves. One type of glial cell, called an oligodendrocyte, lays down new myelin and another type, called an astrocyte lays down SCAR tissue.

A STAR is defined as a heavenly body, champion, headliner or a virtuoso. Another definition of a Star is defined as a network whose components are connected to a hub.

My faith in God is my connection and that is how I am "Turning Those MS Scars Into Stars." I am striving to experience the challenge of living with MS as a Blessing, an opportunity to grow in compassion, patience, grace, and love, all of which are blessings - Multiple Blessings Not Multiple Sclerosis!

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

MS and the Diet

This is the latest of my 'The Diet and MS' adventure.

I am currently in my third week of the diet. Today is not a particularly good or bad day. I feel at a loss from the high of caffeine and sugar.  I can say it is not a craving, but it is more or less an absence of the familiar practice, of having a cup of hot, sweet and creamy coffee. I thought that I would miss bread more, but that is not much of an issue because the starch of bread can be replaced with rice or potatoes. EGGS are a real significant problem! I got an egg substitute, and I can not wait to bake with it. There are lots of gluten free bread mixes, but most would require an egg or two. Therefore, often there is a solution to the problem, if you keep an open mind. I look forward to testing the egg substitute.

The information on 'The Diet and MS' seems to be an extremely hot topic for discussion. The National Multiple Sclerosis posted this Clinical Trial Alert recently on 'The Diet and MS' on their website Research section, MS Trial Alert, "MS Trial Alert: Investigators in Oregon Recruiting People with Relapsing MS for Study of Effects of Low-fat Diet on MS Disease Activity; Travel Costs Covered" posted on Oct 29, 2010. Read more about this study in the following link:
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/news/news-detail/index.aspx?nid=4046
I am  thrilled that this type of research is being proposed. This is a random assigned, rigorously controlled,  clinical trial study of the effects of a Low-Fat Diet on people with Relapsing  MS. I am not sure if it is as restrictive as the diet that I am on. 


Please let me know what you think about 'The Diet and MS'.

No comments:

Post a Comment