"TURNING THOSE MS SCARS INTO STARS"

MS, lesions, also known as plaques, are patches of inflammation in the central nervous system in which the nerve cells have been striped of their protective myelin or insulating cover. These demyelinated neurons do not function properly and it is these lesions that give rise to the symptoms of MS.

In relapsing-remitting MS, their is significant recovery as the inflammation dies down. Special maintenance cells called glial cells are responsible for the repair of the damaged nerves. One type of glial cell, called an oligodendrocyte, lays down new myelin and another type, called an astrocyte lays down SCAR tissue.

A STAR is defined as a heavenly body, champion, headliner or a virtuoso. Another definition of a Star is defined as a network whose components are connected to a hub.

My faith in God is my connection and that is how I am "Turning Those MS Scars Into Stars." I am striving to experience the challenge of living with MS as a Blessing, an opportunity to grow in compassion, patience, grace, and love, all of which are blessings - Multiple Blessings Not Multiple Sclerosis!

Friday, August 7, 2009

Welcome to MS Scars 2 Stars

Hello, I am Paula, your helper, and I will be sharing my journey with you, as we both discover how to turn our MS Scars into Stars. I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1989. That was the biggest day of my life and the most frightening. Although I did not know what Multiple Sclerosis was I knew from the concerned look on the doctors' face it was not good. And as so many of us when we get a diagnosis we sit on the edge of our seat waiting for the plan of treatment to make it all better. But, much to my surprise, there was no cure for my illness. This wasn't a cold or flue, it wasn't going away next week or like chicken pox leave a scar that would fade away in time. This was permanent and it was going to be with me the rest of my life in some form or another. That was a shock, to put it mildly.
So, here I am today some 20 years later. I can tell you that MS has been my sometimes very cruel constant companion. However, I have learned ways to live with MS, even as my physical condition changes. I am not just existing, but living with MS triumphantly turning my "MS Scars Into Stars!"

2 comments:

  1. Hello FB Friends, Thanks for taking a look. Feel free to enter your post. Tell us your story or start a chain.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete