"TURNING THOSE MS SCARS INTO STARS"

MS, lesions, also known as plaques, are patches of inflammation in the central nervous system in which the nerve cells have been striped of their protective myelin or insulating cover. These demyelinated neurons do not function properly and it is these lesions that give rise to the symptoms of MS.

In relapsing-remitting MS, their is significant recovery as the inflammation dies down. Special maintenance cells called glial cells are responsible for the repair of the damaged nerves. One type of glial cell, called an oligodendrocyte, lays down new myelin and another type, called an astrocyte lays down SCAR tissue.

A STAR is defined as a heavenly body, champion, headliner or a virtuoso. Another definition of a Star is defined as a network whose components are connected to a hub.

My faith in God is my connection and that is how I am "Turning Those MS Scars Into Stars." I am striving to experience the challenge of living with MS as a Blessing, an opportunity to grow in compassion, patience, grace, and love, all of which are blessings - Multiple Blessings Not Multiple Sclerosis!

Monday, February 1, 2010

DAHN YOGA AND ME!

I will chronicle my story over the next 6 weeks of the classes that I am taking with my husband at a Dahn Yoga gym here in Houston. I will start by learning about Dahn Yoga and how it works. I will post the Books and DVD’s on the website that I am reading as well as any other articles that I find on the topic of Dahn Yoga. So, please follow my journey on MS Lone Star Classified website in our News Section, Meet Up Forum and here on this Google blog “MS Scars to Stars”, Dahn Yoga and Me.
I will be very open and honest about my journey. I will also try to give 100% to the program and attempt to follow all the instructions to the best of my ability. So, you have my word that I am following the program as instructed. If I fall off the wagon or if I can not physically do some of the exercises I will make note of it as well as those things that seem to be easy and helpful. I should let you know that my physical condition is Ambulatory but just barely. I use a walker for balance, when I walk short distances. I also have Drop Foot which causes difficulty in walking. I was initially diagnosed 20 years ago with MS. I have had difficulty walking many years and have used a wheelchair since 1999 for assistance.
After each sessions I will enter a post about my experience. Our first introductory session was Sunday, January 31st. We were able to attend a Free workout class. I will describe this experience fully in my next post, after I have fully view the Dahn Yoga DVD to compare our session with others lessons.
I welcome your thought and experiences as feedback . Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Hello MsHelper,
    I will look forward to reading more of your posts. Thank you!
    Sending you energy!
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the most effective stress busters is yoga! This is also one of the world’s widely preferred workouts that could fight stubborn extra fats. According to studies, yoga poses for weight loss are really reliable. These poses can be used to achieve firm arms, butt, legs, as well as abs. It could be your greatest ally in preventing weight gain. By doing such activities, you can successfully achieve your desired weight in just three 3 weeks!

    ReplyDelete