"TURNING THOSE MS SCARS INTO STARS"

MS, lesions, also known as plaques, are patches of inflammation in the central nervous system in which the nerve cells have been striped of their protective myelin or insulating cover. These demyelinated neurons do not function properly and it is these lesions that give rise to the symptoms of MS.

In relapsing-remitting MS, their is significant recovery as the inflammation dies down. Special maintenance cells called glial cells are responsible for the repair of the damaged nerves. One type of glial cell, called an oligodendrocyte, lays down new myelin and another type, called an astrocyte lays down SCAR tissue.

A STAR is defined as a heavenly body, champion, headliner or a virtuoso. Another definition of a Star is defined as a network whose components are connected to a hub.

My faith in God is my connection and that is how I am "Turning Those MS Scars Into Stars." I am striving to experience the challenge of living with MS as a Blessing, an opportunity to grow in compassion, patience, grace, and love, all of which are blessings - Multiple Blessings Not Multiple Sclerosis!

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

MY FIRST DAHN YOGA EXPERIENCE


Most Yoga focuses on the physical and more complicated movement and poises. Dahn Yoga is unique type of yoga that features simple exercises for the conditioning of the body and mind, starting with the core, suitable for people of all body types and ages.
My first experience with Dahn Yoga was a video I found online called Dahn Yoga for Multiple Sclerosis and Similar Conditions. I thought this would be a great tool to have in resources for my Self Help Group meetings. After briefly viewing some of the video in one of our meetings, a group member said she had been to a local gym and enjoyed it very much. I contacted the instructor and scheduled a visit to our support group.
After a great demonstration by instructor Lee, I wanted to experience a full lesson. So, I scheduled a visit and attended my first class with my husband. We both were familiar with the benefits of yoga and stress management so we decided to take the class together and encourage each other.
We arrived at the gym Sunday Evening dressed in workout clothing T-shirts and soft pants. In the studio you must remove your shoes because the entire floor is a soft mat. The class initially was started with some simple warm up routines and learning the proper way to stand.
Dahn Yoga is simple and easy to learn. We were able to understand each movement and participate at first try. I will describe more about the rest of the session in tomorrow’s blog.

In the picture above is Master Jung Lee with 2 of her students, myself and two of our group members.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to check this out! We miss yall! We haven't been to our "happy hour" for the past couple of months because of the holidays and birthday parties. Looks like yall had fun doing this!

    ReplyDelete