"TURNING THOSE MS SCARS INTO STARS"

MS, lesions, also known as plaques, are patches of inflammation in the central nervous system in which the nerve cells have been striped of their protective myelin or insulating cover. These demyelinated neurons do not function properly and it is these lesions that give rise to the symptoms of MS.

In relapsing-remitting MS, their is significant recovery as the inflammation dies down. Special maintenance cells called glial cells are responsible for the repair of the damaged nerves. One type of glial cell, called an oligodendrocyte, lays down new myelin and another type, called an astrocyte lays down SCAR tissue.

A STAR is defined as a heavenly body, champion, headliner or a virtuoso. Another definition of a Star is defined as a network whose components are connected to a hub.

My faith in God is my connection and that is how I am "Turning Those MS Scars Into Stars." I am striving to experience the challenge of living with MS as a Blessing, an opportunity to grow in compassion, patience, grace, and love, all of which are blessings - Multiple Blessings Not Multiple Sclerosis!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I'm On The Floor?

I can’ believe I’m on the floor! Trust me if I can do it you can do it. My legs have very little movement and are very weak at this time. But, the standing exercises helped me to be able to sit up-right on the floor. Stiffness in my legs would not allow me to get in a relaxed Lotus position. So, I moved myself as close as I could without falling over. My body was working hard to do just the basic position of sitting and breathing. I could do very little of the stretching but I reached out my hand and visualized myself doing the poises. I was so excited just to be able to sit on the matted floor. (The entire floor of the room is one large comfortable mat). Then we were told to lie back on our backs. I was sure that my back would hurt but to my surprise it did not.
The relaxation part of the routine was starting. The sound of the music is more noticeable. We are instructed to close our eyes and concentrate on our deep breathing, in through the noise and out through the mouth making a ah sound with each exhale. I later found out these exercises in breathing is a part of the Dahn Yoga routine basics called Jung-Choong Breathing. Everything is focused on moving energy.
I have another great reading suggestion called “Dahn Yoga Basics, by Dahn Yoga Education” Dahn Yoga Education is an institution which researches and develops educational material for Dahn Yoga practitioners with the help and support of Dahn Yoga professionals.
Back to the relaxation – now your mind work and visualization starts in earnest, because you may be tempted to drift off to sleep. But this was my first experience. Now that I know more about the practice, I’m sure I will get more out of the relaxation exercises.
There is one more thing I will share about this part of the experience and that is a pressure is applied to the arms and chest while in this relaxed state by the instructor. I know now that this was done to improve the flow of the Ki or Chi.
I am sure I will learn more about this on my next visit to class.
In my next blog, I’ll explain getting off the floor and what happened next on my first visit.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you are on the floor! I am so happy with that. I don't know that much about the pain you have felt from MS, but I am very happy that you are having good experiences. Thank you. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete