"TURNING THOSE MS SCARS INTO STARS"

MS, lesions, also known as plaques, are patches of inflammation in the central nervous system in which the nerve cells have been striped of their protective myelin or insulating cover. These demyelinated neurons do not function properly and it is these lesions that give rise to the symptoms of MS.

In relapsing-remitting MS, their is significant recovery as the inflammation dies down. Special maintenance cells called glial cells are responsible for the repair of the damaged nerves. One type of glial cell, called an oligodendrocyte, lays down new myelin and another type, called an astrocyte lays down SCAR tissue.

A STAR is defined as a heavenly body, champion, headliner or a virtuoso. Another definition of a Star is defined as a network whose components are connected to a hub.

My faith in God is my connection and that is how I am "Turning Those MS Scars Into Stars." I am striving to experience the challenge of living with MS as a Blessing, an opportunity to grow in compassion, patience, grace, and love, all of which are blessings - Multiple Blessings Not Multiple Sclerosis!

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Have I Had MS All My Life?

I often wonder when MS first came into my life? Maybe it first showed up on that day, I felt too tired as a teen to continue band practice. Or maybe it was the piano lesson that I just couldn't quite finish learning. Every teenager feels stress growing up. Maybe, my stress over all of this and forgotten or lost books were actually MS moments!
But, I'm not angry, after all, it could have been worse. OK, I'm lying, I am angry! But, getting "hot under the collar", is not healthy for a person with MS. Instead, it would be better to wrap a Cooling Cloth around my neck and stay cool and calm. I admonish myself, don't get sore about what has happened in life. However, I realize having MS fulfills the definition of the word sore. 
  1. : causing pain or distress a sore subject b: painfully sensitive
  2. : attended by difficulties, hardship, or exertion
  3. : angry, irked, a sore loser
MS is a painful, tender, sensitive, irritated, infection or affliction" of the central nervous system. Yes, having MS gets on my nerves! How ironic one of the main symptoms of MS is numbness, as well as, pain and sensitivity.
Nevertheless, I realize, I do not have to feel angry about what has happened, it is a choice. I will choose to take a deep breath and slowly let it out, releasing all soreness and hurt inside of me. Then I can say to myself, "Let it be. MS has no control over me".




No comments:

Post a Comment